Location: 2816 NW County Road 661, Arcadia, FL 34266
All reservations, day and half-day trips, weekday overnight, and off-season overnight trips are handled through the main office in Arcadia.
GPS: 27°13”54.92”N 81°53”29.84”W
Some help in finding us:
- Please be careful when using MapQuest, OnStar, or other mapping service on the Internet to try to locate us. Sometimes when you enter our address you’ll end up in the wrong spot. If you use MapQuest, you will get to see the DeSoto County Landfill. This is a common problem in rural areas in Florida. Use the GPS coordinates and you’ll find us without problem. Google Maps is the only mapping service that gives correct directions to our location.
- If you are coming from the east coast on SR 70, give yourself at least extra half hour to an hour of travel time. The lure of the Super Wal-Mart as you come into town is proving to be too much. Everybody stops. You can’t tell us you don’t, we can see it in your eyes when you run up to the check-in desk breathless and late!
- All overnight & weekend paddle trips require reservations made in advance with the Arcadia office, 863-494-1215. To avoid mix-ups, please call ahead to verify which office you need to check-in at.
- The Gardner office is only open on busy weekends during spring and fall for overnight check-in. Please do not go straight to Gardner without double checking with the main office. When in doubt, go to Arcadia!
The Canoe Outpost is two miles west of Arcadia off State Road 70 just behind the Arcadia Peace River Campground. Turn north onto County Road 661, which is also the road to Ona and the Road Prison. CR 661 runs along the west side of the campground, along the long, grey, metal fence. Canoe Outpost-Peace River is the next parking lot on the right just behind the campground. Watch for the canoe mailbox and the blue & white buses.
From the Southwest Florida Area/Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota, Bradenton or Central West Florida/Tampa Bay Area:
- I-75 Exit 217/State Road 70 from Tampa Bay Area/Bradenton Area: State Rd. 70 east about 39 miles to Arcadia. Turn left at campground. Approx. travel time: from Tampa: 2 hrs., Bradenton/Sarasota: 40-60 mins.
- I-75 Exit 205/State Road 72 from Sarasota/Venice Area: State Road 72 (Clark Road) north to Arcadia. SR 72 dead ends at SR 70. Left onto 70 and go 1/8 mile west to the campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: 40-60 mins. from Sarasota.
- I-75 Exit 170/County Road 769 from Port Charlotte Area: North on King’s Highway (CR 769). Dead ends at SR 72. Right on 72 until it dead-ends at SR 70. Turn left and go 1/8 mile west to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: 30-45 mins.
- I-75 Exit 164/U.S. 17 from SW Florida/Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers, Naples: North on U.S. 17 to Arcadia. At fourth traffic light in Arcadia turn left onto SR 70. Go west on 70 two miles to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: From Punta Gorda: 45 mins., Ft. Myers: 1 hr., Naples: 1.5 hrs.
From the Central Florida Area/Orlando, Winter Haven, Lakeland:
- I-4/U.S. 27 Exit 55 from Orlando Area: I-4 west to U.S. 27. U.S. 27 south to Avon Park. Right on State Road 64. 64 west about 23 miles to Zolfo Springs. In Zolfo Springs turn left at traffic light onto US 17. Go south on 17 about 23 miles to Arcadia. At second traffic light in Arcadia, turn right onto SR 70. West on 70 two miles to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: 2-2.5 hrs. from Orlando.
- U.S. 17 from Lakeland, Winter Haven: (From Lakeland take 98 south to SR 60, go east on 60 to US 17, turn south on 17.) Go south on 17 thru Ft. Meade, Bowling Green, Zolfo Springs to Arcadia. At second traffic light in Arcadia, turn right onto SR 70. West on 70 two miles to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: 1.5 hrs. from Lakeland.
From the Southeast Florida Area/Miami/Ft. Lauderdale:
- U.S. 27 Route: North on US 27 to SR 70. Turn left, west 33 miles to Arcadia. Continue through town to campground. Approx. travel time: 3-3.5 hrs. from Miami. Gatorama on US 27 is halfway to Arcadia.
- I-75 Route: Alligator Alley (I-75) to I-75 North outside of Naples. North on I-75 to US 17 /Exit 164 to Arcadia. At fourth traffic light in Arcadia turn left onto SR 70. West on 70 two miles to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: 3-3.5 hrs. from Miami.
From the West Palm Beach Area
- North Lake Blvd. Exit or PGA Blvd off I-95. Exit go west to 710. Right on 710 and follow to Okeechobee. Left on 70 (west) to Arcadia, about 64 miles. Continue through town to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: 2-2 ½ hrs.
From Northeast Florida/Ft. Pierce Area:
- Take State Road 70/Exit 129 off 195 outside of Ft. Pierce and head west to Okeechobee. Continue west on State Road 70 through Okeechobee to Arcadia. Stay on 70 west through town to campground and turn right. Approx. travel time: Ft. Pierce-1.5 to 2 hrs.
If you are doing any of the day runs (Gardner, Brownville, Oak Hill, or Dock to Dock) any day of the week or the 31.5 mile/Zolfo Springs to Arcadia any day of the week, you come to the Arcadia office. You check in at Arcadia, we take you upriver and you canoe back to Arcadia. If doing the 19.5 mile starting on a weekday, you check in at Arcadia, load your gear on the bus in Arcadia, then follow the bus to Gardner to park your vehicle or arrange to be let out of the gate when you return to Gardner and your vehicle.
Gardner Outpost Directions DO NOT GO TO GARDNER! Gardner is only a part-time office and only open by appointment. Gardner is only for overnight reservations and not for day trips. You check-in at Arcadia unless you have received an email confirmation instructing you to go to Gardner. The office in Arcadia will email directions to Gardner when needed.
Confucius Didn’t Say:
Man who drive like hell is bound to get there.
- Please call a 863-494-1215 to make reservations, we can’t take reservations over the ‘net yet.
- Reservations required on all trips on all holiday weekends and for weekends during February, March, April, May, June, October, and November, on all overnight canoes, on all outfitted canoes, and with groups of 4 or more canoes for any trip.
- If you want to try kayaks, you must have a reservation.
- On weekdays, reservations are usually not necessary for daily runs.
- A Credit Card Authorization (CCA)form is required for all overnight canoes, on all vessels on Saturdays during busy season, holiday weekends, for 6 or more canoes all trips especially groups, and for outfitted canoes. See the Forms link on the left menu for the authorization that can be printed out and emailed, faxed or mailed back to the Outpost.
- Departures can vary, call first.
- Please don’t call for reservations between the hours of 8 a.m. thru 11:30 a.m. on Saturday mornings, we’re busy checking folks in and can’t give you our undivided attention. If you call any time within an half hour before 8, 10, and 11:30 a.m., you’re calling during normal check-in times, again, we won’t be able to give you our undivided attention.
OPEN SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
Open every day of the year except Christmas Day. On Thanksgiving Day, only overnighters go out in the a.m.
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays and weekends in Arcadia. At other take-outs, time to be in will be determined at check-in.
Office hours for phone calls are 8:00 to 4:30 daily.
Summertime is our slow season so if all the canoes are in for the day and the phone is not ringing, we will close down for the day, usually around 3:00 p.m. Please call before then.
Best time to call for reservations is after lunch. In the mornings, we’ll be checking folks in and you may get the answering machine. We’d like to be able to give you our undivided attention when you call.